[aprssig] Program bloat

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Apr 29 14:44:59 EDT 2010

Tim N9PUZ wrote:
> The bloat, and incompatibility with older computers, comes from the
> tools not necessarily the programmers. Visual Studio compilers
> beginning with VS 2008 cannot create programs that do not have .NET
> 3.5 or newer libraries. With .NET 3.5 Microsoft dropped support for
> Windows 2000 and earlier versions of the Windows OS.

Not exactly true.  Visual Studio still supports bare-metal programming
with the Win32 API from C.  You do not have to use the MFC, .NET,
Standard Template Libraries, or anything else for that matter.  It's
just that a bunch of contemporary programmers don't know anything bu,
and it does make quite a few things a lot easier.

My APRSISCE/32 client is compiled under Visual Studio but is written in
straight C doing direct Win32 calls for the GUI and network
communications.  100% self-written code (except for the C runtime
library) resulting in a 520KB executable for Windows Mobile.  The Win32
exe is 1.4MB, but only because I'm distributing the debug version so I
benefit from all of the alert() calls while I'm still actively
developing it.

Lean-and-mean still exists, you just have to work for it!