[aprssig] Password changed in WinAPRS & MacAPRS

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Apr 9 00:27:34 EDT 2010

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> Background:  I consider being able to operate without an Internet
> connection critical, since I run a mobile APRS installation with a
> laptop display, and want to be free to travel cross-country with a
> fully-scrollable zoomable real-time mapping display.    It is very
> frustrating that NO   APRS app can do this other than UIview and
> APRSpoint.
> [While APRSpoint is more-or-less currently supported (though there are
> intervals of 9 months or more between updates) and supports
> high-quality vector maps from MapPoint,  it is so lacking in features
> (no digipeater functions, no KISS support, no igate capability, no
> proper overlay support), that it is really no competition to the
> "dead" UIview.]
>>
>> I feel I need to keep up to date running most of the versions used in
>> my area so as to be able to help others trying to get started on APRS
>> as well as doing demo's for clubs that want one.
>
> One shouldn't be helping newbies to adopt a completely dead,
> non-updateable app that can't even display current symbols.    [I am
> giving an APRS presentation next week to a radio club on the high
> desert north of L.A. (Victorville) and will be live-demonstrating
> basic trackers, full two-way messaging mobile setups and complete home
> station setups.  I will be advocating UIview, APRSpoint and Internet
> displays for these systems.]

Stephen,

I know you've been in these mailing lists enough to have noticed a
mention of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32, but let me
specifically address your points.

Maps w/o Internet connection:   APRSISCE uses OpenStreetMap.org maps and
supports map pre-fetch for completely untethered operation.  They are
scrollable, zoomable, and real-time if you have planned ahead enough to
have preloaded the maps.  Granted, there's no simple CD/DVD to carry
them all with you, but it IS possible.

No digi, KISS, IGate:  APRSISCE has KISS support with bi-direction
IGating.  Digi support is coming in the next release.

Overlays: If you mean symbol overlays, APRSISCE does that too.

I find your quote about helping newbies...dead, no-updateable app...
followed immediately by ...advocateing UIview to be an interesting
dichotomy.