[aprssig] Password changed in WinAPRS & MacAPRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 19:25:51 EDT 2010

Jacob Tennant wrote:
> I understand this fact about Win/Mac APRS but as a registered uder of
> both Mac/Win APRS AND UI-VIew32 I would still like to be able to run
> both so as to help anyone else in my local area that are running the
> various version of APRS software.
>
> I have noticed also that since G4IDE had passed away, there has nort
> been any updates to UI-View either, so is it going to eventually
> become a abandoned program as well?
Admittedly, the install process is an ever more baroque complex "kludge"
of work-arounds now that Windows 7 is becoming the prevalent operating
system, and I live in dread of the future Precision Mapping release that
will finally break UIview's PMap Server.

However, UIview is still a much more open and extensible system than
other APRS apps.   It's documented API (applications programming
interface) allows add-ons to continue to be developed.   It's symbol set
can be updated since it is stored in external BMP graphics files.

At the time it "died" five years ago, it was so far ahead of any other
APRS app in features and capabilities due to the vision and imagination
of it's author, that it is STILL the most comprehensive and functional
APRS app.  It is still the only one with a "commercial grade" built-in
help system.   It is the only one that can use current zoomable vector
maps without being tethered to the Internet (except for APRSpoint which
requires the expensive Microsoft MapPoint to function).

> I have been working with XASTIR on linux as well as SV2AGW's
> AGWTracker software as well as they are really coming into their own
> as main stream APRS software systems.

I am distinctly underwhelmed by Xastir.  The fundamental problem is that
there is simply NOTHING in the Linux world equivalent to Delorme Street
Atlas, Precision Mapping or MapPoint; i.e. a ready-to-use compact vector
mapping system with current data.   Despite Xastir's claim to work with
"hundreds of map formats", they are all either obscure specialized
bitmap formats that require TERABYTES of hard disk space to cache static
images at varying resolutions on a local hard disk, or high-end
professional GIS vector formats like ArcView  for which comprehensive
data is not available to the average amateur.

AGWtracker looks promising but it also is hostage to the Internet if you
want high quality maps.

Background:  I consider being able to operate without an Internet
connection critical, since I run a mobile APRS installation with a
laptop display, and want to be free to travel cross-country with a
fully-scrollable zoomable real-time mapping display.    It is very
frustrating that NO   APRS app can do this other than UIview and
APRSpoint.

[While APRSpoint is more-or-less currently supported (though there are
intervals of 9 months or more between updates) and supports high-quality
vector maps from MapPoint,  it is so lacking in features (no digipeater
functions, no KISS support, no igate capability, no proper overlay
support), that it is really no competition to the "dead" UIview.]

> I feel I need to keep up to date running most of the versions used in
> my area so as to be able to help others trying to get started on APRS
> as well as doing demo's for clubs that want one.

One shouldn't be helping newbies to adopt a completely dead,
non-updateable app that can't even display current symbols.    [I am
giving an APRS presentation next week to a radio club on the high desert
north of L.A. (Victorville) and will be live-demonstrating basic
trackers, full two-way messaging mobile setups and complete home station
setups.  I will be advocating UIview, APRSpoint and Internet displays
for these systems.]

> Also, I am a firm believer in running software written for the
> operating system being used. Have tried to run XASTIR in WIndows using
> Cgywin better it never seemed to work write, and with getting a new
> MAC laptop in a few weeks would like to run a version of APRS made to
> run on MacOS.

Does MacAPRS even work correctly in System X?  I thought it was bound to
the classic pre-Intel Mac OS, but I'm not sure.

On the Windows side, WinAPRS is going to be a total headache going
forward.   WinAPRS was cross-compiled from the Mac version with a tool
that spits out 16-bit Windows code (i.e. Windows 3.x!!!).  Among other
things, this is why WinAPRS only supports the first four com ports.

Until now, this hasn't been much of an issue.  The 32-bit OSs starting
with Windows 95 up to XP incorporated a 16-bit subsystem a.k.a. "WoW"
(Windows On Windows) that allowed 16-bit Win 3.x code to continue to run
to run on these newer flavors of Windows.

Vista and Win7 quietly dropped the WOW subsystem (in the interest of
stability and security), meaning ANY program containing 16-bit code (a
surprising number of "32-bit" programs contain bits and pieces of 16-bit
code recycled from their Win 3.x predecessors.) are now hopelessly
broken, unless you want to install a virtual machine running XP inside
your new Win 7 setup.   This applies to both the 32- and 64-bit versions
of both Vista and Win 7.