[aprssig] Cross-Band Digi or Gate?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 5 21:26:11 EDT 2010

> ... what the proper approach is for gating
> (or is it digipeating?) HF traffic onto local
> VHF frequencies?  Is this an ok thing to
> do, or just gate the received packets to APRS-IS and be done
with it?

It was OK back when we first started in the 1990's.  Im not sure
about now.  With internet connectivity available to everyone,
I'm not sure I see the value in adding QRM to local VHF nets...

> Are there any good (read: current) guidance on paths
> for HF APRS?

The original www.aprs.org/APRS-docs/HF.TXT

But maybe I need to update it to recommend against gating HF
back to VHF?  But for SURE, VHF gating to HF is strictly
verboten...

Bob, WB4aPR

> HF propagation is constantly changing and erratic.  You
> normally will only have a reliable path between any two
> specific locations (like two stations trying to converse with
> each other) for a few hours a day. On the other hand, the
> band is open to SOMEWHERE hundreds or throusands of miles
> away virually 24/7.  Digipeating on HF (i.e. between HF
> stations) is severely discouraged since WHERE you would be
> digipeated to is completely unpredictable.
>
> Because of the erratic nature of digipeating on bands where
> propagation is constantly changing, the success rate to reach
> a given station is very low.   In an interactive messaging
> scenario, you wind up with endless missed acks and
> re-transmissions that will reduce the already-low 300 baud
> throughput of the shared channel even more.  You can easily
> have 8-10 transmissions to get a single message string from
> station A to station B on HF.   [Bear in mind that when you
> transmit on HF, you are potentially occupying the channel
> over HALF OF NORTH AMERICA at once!]
>
> The KAM TNCs treat the crossband digipeat as a normal digi
> hop triggered by the name  "GATE" in the path.  A typical HF
> path  would be something like:
>
>       WA8LMF > APRS,GATE,WIDE2-1
>

> This would use NO digis on HF, cross over to VHF at various
> random and unknown locations over an area of potentially 2000
> miles radius or more (depending on propagation) and then do a
> normal one-hop home station VHF path in each of those
locations.