[aprssig] Cross-Band Digi or Gate?

Dave Skolnick dskolnick at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 08:26:20 EDT 2010

> The real question, though,  is: Will the locals in these various remote
> VHF areas appreciate having random "DX" stations from hundreds (or
> thousands) of miles away suddenly appearing on their local 2-meter
> channel???

True. How about local stations. Might there be valid reasons for
gating reasonably close HF stations?

Anyone who cares where I am while halfway between Bermuda and Norfolk
can, as you say, use APRS-IS to locate me based on an HF signal that
is gated to the IS somewhere. As I proceed up the Chesapeake Bay
toward home in Annapolis however it might be appropriate for HF/VHF/IS
stations to gate my position to local RF.

Since a minute (of latitude) is a mile you could gate any HF station
within 2 degrees of latitude AND 3 degrees of longitude to local VHF
RF.

Just a thought, if processing power allows.

73 es sail fast, dave KO4MI