[aprssig] D710 and the local info initiative

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 25 15:57:54 EDT 2009

> ... one of our [digipeaters]... did nothing
> in his D710 when he pushed the "TUNE" soft button.
> ... We are now getting a tune but the tone,
> split etc do not set.
>
> ;434.775-B*111111z6044.06N/02612.79Er1750 R50k -1.6 MHz
> OH2RAY  Artjarvi
>
> I think 1750 instead of T123 or TOFF is at
> least wrong.

Yes "Tnnn R50k"has to be the first

> The most important step for us would be to
> get the shift right, as more and more 70 cm
> repeaters are changing the offset from the old
> -1.6 MHz to -2.0 MHz because of interference
> from ISM equipment on the old input band.

This is a problem.  In the current implementiation in the D710
it does not interpret shift.  It works on 2 meters, because the
radio already has auto-shift.

But for some reason, kenwood does not have auto-shift on UHF in
their radios because of all the variation, I guess.  But in the
USA, it is most often 5 MHz, and so if the freq is below 445,
then it seems to me that kenwood should assume +5 MHz split (in
the USA) and if it above 445 MHz the split is - 5MHz.  In
Europe, the standard splits could also be used, but if you have
both 2.0 and 1.6, then I guess that is why they do not do
auto-shift in Europe.

My spec does call for a shift option, but it is not yet
implemented.

Bob, Wb4APR