[aprssig] most packets are transmitted blind

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:42:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Tom Hayward <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm surprised by the ratio of "rebuttal" responses you have received
> on this topic.

eh?  I saw no rebuttals.

> Transmit-only tracker *do* cause interference,

As does _any_ transmitter that cannot hear everything in the digi's
footprint.  Given the terrain, HAAT of a mobile station, etc, even a
D700 will transmit blind to much of the digi's collision domain.

Collisions are a simple fact of life in a network like the 144.390 APRS network.

> I don't believe these high-power transmitter-only trackers are
> benefiting the APRS community.

an 8W-35W transmit-only device certainly has no place on 144.390.

While I personally feel that the 0.5W - 1W transmitters are fairly
useless for general APRS use, I don't think they cause harm to the
network and find them very useful for specialized applications (e.g.
balloon tracker).

As a side note, wasn't the original Aloha network a TX-only arrangement?

-Jason
kg4wsv