[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 18:47:08 EDT 2009

Sergej wrote:
> Well, looking on to the Stephen's test, we can summ up, that
> none of clients, which was marked in his test not able to manage
> regional sets of UTF-8 characters. I am not surprised and
> I foresaw that...
>
> However, pay attention that service of Findu.com represented all
> correctly! It means, that fortunately APRS-IS is 8 bits
> transporent system!
>
> Remains to check, whether there will not be problems at use
> of UTF-8 with TNC's in KISS and terminal modes?!
>
> 73, Sergej
> uz2hz

The RF test I did with a KPC3+ was in KISS mode and created no problems
(other than that the client couldn't display it). There was no problem
with the TNC locking up or crashing.

However, I had no easy means of trying to SEND a non-English
UTF-8-encoded message through the TNC.   I would assume that the TNC
would be more likely to see false escape sequences (and then do wierd
things like locking up) in traffic coming from the terminal rather than
in traffic from the RF side.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net