[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Sergej rttyman at ukr.net
Tue Sep 22 18:39:12 EDT 2009

wa8lmf:
> I've run some quick tests with APRS clients via both the Internet and
> RF.  Results and screen shots are here on my website:

>      <http://wa8lmf.net/UTF8_Message_Tests/>

Well, looking on to the Stephen's test, we can summ up, that
none of clients, which was marked in his test not able to manage
regional sets of UTF-8 characters. I am not surprised and
I foresaw that...

However, pay attention that service of Findu.com represented all
correctly! It means, that fortunately APRS-IS is 8 bits
transporent system!

Remains to check, whether there will not be problems at use
of UTF-8 with TNC's in KISS and terminal modes?!

73, Sergej
uz2hz