[aprssig] UTF-8 for APRS (testing)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Sep 22 17:49:31 EDT 2009

> I've run some quick tests with APRS clients
> via both the Internet and RF....
>
> Apparently the North American version of the
> D700 has only two character sets embedded
> -- US 7-bit ASCII and some proprietary...
>  Japanese symbol coding.    The German/
> Scandinavian string was rendered as "Japanese garbage"!

OK, but what about how it "works"?
1) Does it properly find the Line number?
2) does it properly ACK the message
3) Will it properly REJect the message if full,
4) can you "edit" the message... Etc.
5) Do intermediate Igates see it as a valid message and pass it
to RF?
6) Does it get captured in the message list on the various APRS
internet servers
7) Anything else we need to verify?

In otherwords, I don't care if gyberish produces gyberish, what
counts is whether the APRS protocol still works.  And we want to
see the above tests on every major system...

Bob, WB4APR