[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 15:47:44 EDT 2009

Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

> I've now set up an UTF-8 message responder. Send an APRS message to
> the destination callsign UTF-8, and it will respond with 4 messages:
>
> 1. This message is English ASCII text.
> 2. This message is English UTF-8 text.
> 3. Finnish/Scandinavian UTF-8 chars: åäö ÅÄÖ
> 4. Japanese: 日本語 (3 chars)
>
> The first two messages are sort of a joke, since both of those
> messages are both ASCII and UTF-8. There is no difference.
>
> It's a bit simple, just threw it together quickly, so it doesn't do
> things like retrying message transmission. It does send message IDs
> and it does respond with an ack to incoming messages.

I've run some quick tests with APRS clients via both the Internet and
RF.  Results and screen shots are here on my website:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/UTF8_Message_Tests/>

Apparently the North American version of the D700 (don't know about the
Euro version) has only two character sets embedded -- US 7-bit ASCII and
some proprietary pre-Unicode/pre-UTF-8 Japanese symbol coding.    The
German/Scandinavian string was rendered as "Japanese garbage"!