[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Sep 22 12:47:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> When I have time, I will make a messsaging robot with which you can try
> to see example byte sequences from RFC 3629 (Internet STD 63), alias:

I've now set up an UTF-8 message responder. Send an APRS message to
the destination callsign UTF-8, and it will respond with 4 messages:

1. This message is English ASCII text.
2. This message is English UTF-8 text.
3. Finnish/Scandinavian UTF-8 chars: åäö ÅÄÖ
4. Japanese: 日本語 (3 chars)

The first two messages are sort of a joke, since both of those messages
are both ASCII and UTF-8. There is no difference.

It's a bit simple, just threw it together quickly, so it doesn't do things
like retrying message transmission. It does send message IDs and it does
respond with an ack to incoming messages.

   - Hessu