[aprssig] Perl APRS IS

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Tue Sep 22 03:34:19 EDT 2009

Hello

I would like to hear some thoughts from PERL programmers lurking in the wings.

I am trying to handle the following errors

1. Script not running at all - pretty easy - ps -ef command and auto start
2. Script tries to start and fails - pretty easy - on error fail and try again or revert to 1. above

But here is the one that is getting me

3. The script will start, and then run but stay up - ie the telnet connection has gone stale

I am now looking at coding something based on the time and date of the APRS IS heartbeat every 40 seconds.

Ideas on how to manage stale connections ?

PERL does not seem to die on a stale connection - that is my issue

I am trying to keep a satellite script going - and its no good dieing

Andrew

Andrew Rich
Airways Technical Officer Grade 4
Surveillance - RADAR ADS-B