[aprssig] August 24th BEAR-4 Balloon Launch & Discovery Channel coverage.

Garrett Sloan Garrett at DatPlace.com
Tue Sep 22 02:50:51 EDT 2009

Just wanted to post in case anyone was interested, The flight may have been
a while ago, but on Friday night Daily Planet had a segment covering 2 of
our latest Balloon launches:

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/daily-planet/september-2009/daily-planet-se
ptember-18-2009/#clip215393

if you skip forward to the 10:00 mark you'll get our story, and get to see
some of us in person, VE6RKY (myself) VE6SRV (James Ewen), VE6SBS (My father
Barry Sloan) and in the background VE6ROZ (Bob Roziki (sp?))

This is as far as we can tell the first successful amateur video shot in HD
from the edge of space. A link to a 10 minute YouTube Video and many more
construction details about the hardware and flight and the story behind it
available at:

http://bear.sbszoo.com/bear3-4/bear4.htm

Also of note, (without attempting to start a argument about the necessity
for paths on balloon flights) these balloons flew as VE6ATV-11 and flew
without any paths, and were only picked up via IGates to make it into the
APRS-IS. 99% of all the packets made it to the APRS-IS via a single IGate
~100 miles from the landing location, with the few packets less than 1000
feet being gated via a mobile station with a mobile internet connection.
There were also many stations over 200 miles away that decoded all the
packets easily.

Garrett Sloan

VE6RKY