[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 21 19:22:43 EDT 2009

> Any attempts to fix things are blocked by
> BoB - "because that would break installed
> base of thousands of radios already being
> used for messaging."
> Now really how many people are messaging?
> What are their likely devices?

Its not just messaging, it is the INFORMATION that is included
in every position report, comment text, and status text.  And
everyone uses that.

And I certainly do see my goal to not break anything that 40,000
APRS users have invested in.  They do not want to see their
working systems broken by each new not-fully-thought out flash
in the pan idea that appears on this APRSSIG.

I do support extensions to the text fields to support other
languages but ONLY WHERE IT DOES NOT BREAK existing systems.
I'm just waiting for the details and the proof of
interoperability.

Bob, WB4APR