[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Mon Sep 21 13:47:05 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:26:24PM +0100, Chris Moulding wrote:
> Matti,
>
> OK, the test I ran sent text from one laptop set to Finnish settings and
> received on another with English settings. Whether this is Unicode or
> Windows approximation I cannot be sure.

There is only one UNICODE, there are many 8-bit charsets in Windows...
How about adding a way to see sent and received messages in hex-dump form ?
Add a decent tool to see it, instead of living in uncertainty.

The most likely charset is that one used in IBM PC way back in 1980es.
It worked for "everybody" and is adequate only for Yankees.

> The program will work with any serial TNC including the Kenwood and
> Alinco radios so if anyone can test it with Unicode I would welcome the
> feedback.

A KISS TNC, or talking "TNC2 text" to it ?

Your program does not communicate over APRS-IS, does it?

> If anyone would like to translate the program from English to their own
> language I can send a text file of all the program text off the list.
>
> 73s,
> Chris, G4HYG
> Chris Moulding
> Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd