[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 09:03:39 EDT 2009

Not just Finland.

Sadly here in the UK, due to some "interesting licensing issues", we now
have to get a NOV (Notice of Variation) to our licences, to run digi's,
(third party traffic) especialy if unattended.

As to messaging, well, again, though it's easy to put up a RX only
iGate, to mobiles can be tracked etc, to enable two way messaging,
again, NOV is needed.   There are many "unlicensed" RX only gates about,
in sort of stealth mode (they never TX to RF) as it's easy to do.  But
strictly, because it's "interconnecting" the amateur network with the
"Public" internet, we should probably have a NOV for that too, but
most/many do not.

The trouble with NOV's, is the need for key-holding (as in door key)
shutdown opp's, 3 or more, so that if needed, said station can be killed
within half an hour of someone (in "authority") deciding it needs to
QRT, and making some phone call's.  Remote shutdown (by any means) is
not allowed.   Sadly, in our society, even good friends/neighbours baulk
at being "volunteered" for that, when they learn that they may
(unlikely, but they may) be called by a government department and asked
to shutdown some equipment in someone else's house!..

Two way messaging does work in some places, but it depends on you (the
mobile/portable etc) being in range of a main iGate, where the sysop has
enabled it.  Many have not.

Coupled too, with on occasions, either by mistake or on purpose, some
sysops seem to set things up to spew out IS traffic, onto our 2m
frequency, and with long (7 hops) paths too.   Even "dumb tracking" is
near on impossible under that onslaught.

All in all, a pretty sorry state, and sadly unlikely to improve in the
future AFIK in the UK.

For me, APRS is a dead duck, I've not even used the D7 as a tracker in
ages, let alone powered up the TNC at home.  Sometimes I'll fire up
UiView and "listen" to the IS stream, maybe in a hotel room I'll use the
IS for some messaging but that's all (cant use RF, as most hotels here
are swathed in DC-Light QRM 24/7!) if I've had to buy some time on the
so called "free" WiFi, and I've got some access time left after doing
the work stuff that is.

I'm even wondering about continuing to monitor this list or not, as all
I ever see is the same subjects going round and round, with no "real
forward development" of the basic APRS system ever getting off the
ground.  With the possible exception of the guys in the NE USA, running
9600bd on UHF, and a few notable individuals still experimenting with
new methods, but often getting less than encouraging replies to their
questions or announcements.   The APRS-UK list is *Very quiet* these
days too.

Sorry for the negative waves, but that's how some of us see it from over
here.

73.

Dave G0WBX.