[aprssig] Help with XASTIR maps

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 01:22:47 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I know I must be doing something brainless here, but I can't seem to get a new installation of XASTIR to load up anything by way of a map.  All I have is the background grid with an "x" in the center where my station is.

I gave an APRS presentation on somewhat short notice last week to a local club, leveraging heavily from Bob's presentation (http://www.aprs.org/APRS-by-Bob-j.ppt; THANKS Bob!).  I thought it would be good to have XASTIR loaded on my laptop, for a little hands-on at the end.  The software loaded with no problem, but no maps.  The presentation went well without it, but I still want to get the maps to work.

My laptop is running OpenSuSE 11.1, and XASTIR is version 1.9.2-15.16, downloaded from the OpenSUSE Build Service.  I'm not sure what it was "built with", but presumably the build service didn't hold anything back.  The Help->About screen seems to show all the same libraries, with ImageMagick exchanged with GraphicsMagick.

I simply want to get the web-based Tiger maps to load.  I've got "enable Auto maps" selected in the map menu.  I went to the "Map Chooser" menu item, and fussed around with it.  Both "GPS" and "Online" are selected, I believe, as the title bar says "maps selected 2/0".  The "0" part is a little unnerving, and I can't seem to get any sort of directory list, like my other installation has. (And, no, I don't recall how I got it to work, either.).  I do have an active network connection.

What else do I need to do?  What's the simple recipe for getting maps to work?

Greg  KO6TH