[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 21:34:55 EDT 2009

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> 1) Im mobile and I hear a wide area Echolink Conference in progress.  Many linkedd repeaters.  A Netcontrol taking checkins on his CHAT window.

What Net Control???   Most of the time, outside formal nets,
RF-involved Echolink hookups are functioned-up FROM MOBILES commanding
unattended fixed stations.  There is no one at home looking at a
computer screen.   Text messages are going to fall on deaf ears. (Or
should I change the metaphor to "blind eyes"?)

> It wiould be a good iddea if I coudl send an APRS message to one of the callsigns or to the netconrol call that I hear and my APRS message should sshow up in the chat window of everyone on that conference.
>
> 2) Im in a QSO with a conference and am online on Echolink.  I should he able to use that same CHAT window to send a message to some "other callsign" I want to join the net.  If that "other callsign" exists in APRS,
This is going to have the same hit-or-miss problems as reverse-gated
APRS messages now.   What does "if that other callsign exists in APRS"
mean?     Heard within the last 30 seconds?    Heard only direct?

How close do the coordinates of the Echolink node (assuming there are
any) and the coordinates of the APRS mobile have to be to  considered
"heard".   Since many Echolink nodes are located at low locations at
home stations (it's often hard to get Internet access at mountain tops)
and  the Echolink voice channel can't use the equivalent of a digipeater
on APRS, the APRS coverage is likely to be vastly different from the
Echolink coverage.

> then the CHAT should be converted to an APRS message and sent on the APRS network for possible delivery if that other callsign is mobile or otherwise avaialble on APRS an not present on Echolink...

Around here, at least, the VAST majority of APRS mobiles either CAN'T
RECEIVE, or don't receive (i.e. scrolls off the D700 screen so fast you
never see it).

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net