[aprssig] Airborne Digis

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 18 22:03:55 EDT 2009

> The frequency agile MiroTraks currently cannot
> be configured to alternate between different
> frequencies, but that is a feature that
> could be coded in the future.

Here is a radical idea (option) for all frequency agile
"trackers"...

If they had Power control, they could also switch to a different
"standard" frequency and key up at 1% power with maybe a carrier
for 10 seconds after a 144.39 packet before shutting down.  This
could help with DFing them..

...duh... I guess if they are transmitting their GPS info, then
who needs to DF them?  But I'm sure there is a useful idea in
here somewhere.

One person a long time ago proposed a "proportional powering"
algorithm.  The Tracker would transmit once evey (lets say) 4
minutes at 10 watts, then inbetween at 2 minutes would transmit
at 1 watt, and then every 1 minute at 0.1 Watt, and every 30
seconds at 0.01 watt and so forth.

Thus, for close in, you can find it fast.  But further out it
puts out less and less QRM.  His proposal was actually for
aircraft avoidance where line-of-sight performance makes for
consistent range performance... But close in for colision
avoidance you need the data FAST!

Bob, Wb4APR