[aprssig] TAC-5

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Tue Sep 15 01:13:57 EDT 2009

Thats funny

There are two contries on planet earth

Canada and the USA

Andrew Rich
Airways Technical Officer Grade 4
Surveillance - RADAR ADS-B
Amateur Radio Callsign VK4TEC
email: vk4tec at tech-software.net
web: www.tech-software.net
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stephen H. Smith
  Cc: Andrew Rich
  Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [aprssig] TAC-5

  Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
    Andrew Rich wrote:

      Our law says EACH packet should contain an ID of the orginating station

      email: vk4tec at tech-software.net
      web: www.tech-software.net

    Can you provide a more clear instruction on which law "Our law" actually IS?  I'm guessing that VK4TEC might be Canadian?  But I'm a new-enough operator that I'm just not quite sure...

    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Palm Bay, FL  USA

    __

  VE is Canadian

  VK is Australian

  Even if the law says each packet must be identified, does it mandate that it must be in the "FROM" field, or can it be in the payload?

  In the US and Canada, it is perfectly legal for the (mandatory) ID to be in the payload area of a packet rather than in the FROM field, thus making possible tactical calls with any arbitrary string of 6 letters and/or numbers in the FROM field.

  Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
  Skype:        WA8LMF
  Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  NEW!  HF APRS Notes & Guide