[aprssig] Airborne Digis

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 18:03:10 EDT 2009

Bob Poortinga wrote:
> Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> writes:
>

>> Remember, the home digis are primarily using "dumb" non-APRS-aware classic
>> clunker hand-me-down TNCs (like PK-232s and TNC2 clones like MFJ-127x) that
>> blindly respond to the fixed alias WIDE1-1 and *DON'T DO *dupe checking.
>>  (Dupe checking is an APRS-specific feature only present in KPC3s and the
>> new-generation APRS-centric TNCs like Tracker2s, TT4s, TNC-X, etc. or in
>> TNCs under  control of KISS-mode APRS software like UIview.)
>>

> You may be forgetting that the UIDIGI firmware for TNC2/MFH-127x TNCs
> does indeed perform dupe-checking.
> <http://www.qsl.net/n8deu/uidigi_eprom_settings.htm#DuplicateSuppression>.
>
> I'm running a fill-in digi using an MFJ-1270B with UIDIGI at this moment.
>
> Anyone with direct access to APRS-IS data, care to tell us how many
> APNUxx digis are currently on-line?
>
> 73 de

There are a lot of UI-DIGI TNCs doing duty as big-gun mountain-top true
WIDEn-Ns.   I would be surprised if there were very many doing home
fill-in duty.

The home fill-ins seem mostly to be hand-me-down hamfest specials that
can't be modified with APRS-centric firmware like PK-232s, PacComs,
etc.     [Part of the logic of my inventing the WIDE1-1 fill-in
expedient (and the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path construct rather than just
WIDE2-2) several years ago was being able to recycle non-APRS-aware
non-update-able   clunkers for first-hop home duty, by just setting
MYALIAS to "WIDE1-1 .]