[aprssig] APRS < = > Winlink Messaging

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 13 14:37:10 EDT 2009

A better idea...

>> ...[so it takes] THREE APRS messages to send
>> a message to a Winlink subscriber account:
>>
>> MSG: SP W3ABC Subj
>> MSG: I'll see you for coffee at 8.
>> MSG: /EX
>
> Maybe Lee would consider adding a "texting"
> feature to APRSlink something like this:
>
> TO: WLNK-7
> MSG: W3ABC: I'll see you for coffee at 8
>
> The special "WLNK-7"... would indicate
> this is... a one-line "text" (probably
> from a handheld or mobile keypad) and
> that the first word will be a Winlink
> callsign address.

Actually, though, this is still a special case and requires the sender to have knowledge about the Winlink station having an account on winlink.  It is these kinds of special cases we want to avoid with the...

> "Universal Ham Radio Text Messaging Initiative"...
> www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html and
> the sept QST article.

So the ultimate APRS ==> Winlink texting capability is as follows:

*  The APRS==>winllink engine watches ALL message traffic on the APRS IS.  It matches all callsigns seen with ALL known Winlink addressees.

* If it sees an APRS message to one of the WinLINK users, then it automatically scarfs the message and forwards it to the Winlink's callsign address.  DONE

"Any message, any time, anywhere, to any device, knowing only the intended callsign"..

Bob, Wb4APR