[aprssig] APRS < = > Winlink Messaging

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 12 22:11:59 EDT 2009

> NOPE. No one-line (APRS message-to-winlink)
> message capability exists.  APRSLink says:

> The subject is, well, subject.  The message
> text follows in subsequent APRS messages.
> ...[so it takes] THREE APRS messages:
>
> MSG: SP W3ABC Subj
> MSG: I'll see you for coffee at 8.
> MSG: /EX

Ah, so that is probably why the local ARES guys asked me if
there could be a better way to simply Text to a winlink address
directly ...  Maybe Lee would consider adding a "texting"
feature to APRSlink something like this:

TO: WLNK-7
MSG: W3ABC: I'll see you for coffee at 8

The special "WLNK-7" instead of -1 would indicate this is going
to be a one-line "text" (probably from a handheld or mobile
keypad) and that the first word will be a Winlink callsign
address.

Again, just another step towards the "Universal Ham Radio Text
Messaging Initiative"... www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html and
the sept QST article.

Bob, WB4APR