[aprssig] Speaking of GPS...

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Sep 6 14:30:01 EDT 2009

Greg D. wrote:
> I have an eTrex Vista HCx, and treat it very gently.  It's only a
> little over a year old, yet the glue under rubber band around the
> outside is failing and turning into some sort of goo.  Not a good sign...
>
> Anything else I should be aware of?  Other than that, I really like
> the unit.
>
> Greg  KO6TH

This is in large part due to the exceptionally corrosive, ozone-laden
air in urban California. I am not being sarcastic -- this is real.

You are "down wind" from the congested, smoggy coastal and central
valley areas of California. The combination of sulfur, ozone and heat in
the interior of CA is deadly to a lot of plastic and rubber compounds.

I live in Pasadena where I get the full concentration of Los Angeles
smog -and- away-from-the-coast heat -- it is often over 100 degrees here
for days at a time.   I have observed all kinds of plastic and rubber
parts rotting out and disintegrating over time since I moved here  --
the polyurethane foam surround on loudspeaker cones, the "rubber-band"
mini drive belts in tape decks, plastic jackets on cables that
deteriorate into a sticky slimy surface over time, rubber feet on
equipment cabinets "melting" into a sticky blob, interior trim
components in cars that bleach out and develop masses of cracks like a
dried-out lake, etc.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net