[aprssig] Q: Voice Alert freqs around the world?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 6 08:45:15 EDT 2009

>>> since the whole goal of Voice Alert
>>> is to find each other...
>>
>> Is somebody really using this?...

> Yup.. actually just got a call because
> of it about 20 mins ago when driving home.

On the other hand, last weekend I drove from Maryland to Connecticut and heard at least 10, COUNT-EM (10), or so Voice Alert packets in different areas and got NO response from ANY of them.  Seems the lights are on , the CQ's are going out, but no one is listening up there...

Similarly frustrating, we have a group of people in my area that are very actively working on a 6 meter APRS network and so there is a vibrant need to communicate and talk about stuff.  But the number one proponent drives around with a car full of radios but only APRS dumb trackers, and so when I chance to see him nearby, even visiting the digi site to work on it, occassionally, it is so frustrating not to be able to call him, because he is ONE-WAY APRS!

We've got to break this mentality of APRS as a one-way vehicle tracking system for the web only...

Bob, WB4APR