[aprssig] VX-8 and Computer

Arte Booten n2zrc at optonline.net
Sat Sep 5 14:17:32 EDT 2009

Hi all,

     Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any way of using the Yaesu VX-8R
as a mobile APRS radio while running UI-View.  Either the GPS module itself or
the speaker/mic would be connected to the connector atop the radio, leaving no
place to connect it to a serial port.

     However,  it seems the connector has far more pins than are being used by
either of those objects.  No doubt Vertex-Standard uses the VX-8's platform in
the same way it uses the VX-7/VX-150/etc. for different services,  so I wonder
if, in some other iteration, the VX-8 can utilize those pins  (presumably with
an adapter) that would allow serial connection along with GPS and speaker-mic.
--
||>->-> When replying, remove "!rEm0vEn0sPaM!" from the reply address! <-<-<||