[aprssig] temporary APRS setup

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Sat Oct 31 11:27:23 EDT 2009

Steven Brower wrote:
> digipeater and igate?  I will have internet access at the launch site.  I also have a Kantronics TNC.  The device I'm testing now is a Yaesu VX-1 with a TinyTrak3+, and a
I would hesitate to use the VX-1 as the RF source. This radio is nice,
but if it has a low battery or power interuption, a button press is
required on the power button to set things right again - so you would
lose positions. It also in my tests didn't do well in ground-level cold
temps (20F range). At altitude, your balloon electonics could be colder.
Have you simulated a flight to see if your battery set-up can run the
package for the full duration predicted, and then some?

--
      ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
     ( (     Echolink   221408    Grid Square EL17HQ
   `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com