[aprssig] D710A APRS status text details

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Thu Oct 29 12:44:56 EDT 2009

Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> - the frequency text is always there in status 5

True

> - it's possible to add text after the frequency

True

> - the PL/offset information is never there

True and this would be nice in a new firmware

> - it's not possible to get the frequency information into any of the
> other status messages

Why not use #5 ??

> The last two are, well, annoying. If I'm tuned to a repeater, someone
> who hears my voice alert won't
> be able to QSY automatically to reach me via the repeater. If I am
> traveling and using the scanner,
> I can transmit the current frequency but can't also quickly change
> between existing status texts. (I
> regularly make a trip between Palo Alto and the Sierra foothills and
> scan through various repeaters
> - I'd like to pre-program a status text that indicates where I'm headed,
> but still shows what
> repeater I'm listening to at the moment.)

So why not enter the frequency manually?

Use i.e status text #4 and enter whatever QSY information you have
followed by a SPACE. Now you can also enter the tone and split and it's
going to work .

I.e If you enable status text #4 as:
434.700MHz T097 -2000kHz Listening this rpt.

Then other TM-D710 should be able to QSY

> This strikes me as yet another Kenwood feature that is a good start but
> not finished. It would be
> much more useful if the frequency display was driven by a special
> character sequence that could be
> placed in *any* status text string... is there some way to do this?
> Perhaps in a future release, if
> anyone has Kenwood's ear...
>
> 73 de chris K6DBG

I can live with doing this manually bur for the #5 i would like that
offset tone etc was taken from the memory channel you are on.

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA