[aprssig] Barometric pressure compensation

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Oct 21 16:56:20 EDT 2009

Thanks Mark.

For now, I went ahead and made it an elevation entry, from which the
unit itself calculates the offset from sea level - the reason for this
being that it will eventually have a GPS input option, and will need to
compute the offset automatically when it's deployed somewhere.

I got frustrated trying to implement the barometric pressure formula
directly, so I played around in Excel for a while and came up with a set
of linear models for each of several different altitude ranges.  If the
R-squared values can be believed, it's pretty close, though I might
eventually need to make smaller segments for higher elevations.

Anyway, it's now agreeing with the local airport weather station within
0.01 inHg, so it seems to be working.

I should have the new voice samples for this thing soon, and I'm really
looking forward to getting them loaded up.  Listening to my own voice
droning out the weather readings every 20 seconds is getting old.

Scott
N1VG