[aprssig] Whuich GPS for APRS ???

Gerald Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 20 17:17:32 EDT 2009

I'm coming in late on this, so I will likely step on toes.

A couple of random thoughts, though.

1.  Garmin seems to remain, in my estimate, the best bang for the
consumer buck in GPS.
2.  Consumer grade mobile GPS's are not designed to be used in the rain.
  That said, my Forerunner 101 is great in the rain and muck.  Oh, yeah.
It supports a 2.5mm stereo connection for serial I/O.
3.  My Garmin GPS55AVD, an ancient, first generation or so consumer
aviation GPS receiver, was nitrogen-pressurized, good to about 12m, and
didn't fog the screen.  They have higher expectations for protecting
equipment from most car drivers than they do for most pilots, apparently.

Otherwise, Keith's info still sounds good to me.  I guess I don't
understand what the problem is with Garmin?  Oh, yeah, and the Nuvi 350
I use with Xastir just plugs in and plays...

If I'm looking for serious GPS receivers, I look at Trimble, Ashtech,
Novatel and Javad.  Of course, those shouldn't be used, generally, for
APRS unless you've got money to burn.  They're survey-grade, dual (and
often more) frequency receivers.

gerry