[aprssig] Whuich GPS for APRS ???

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Oct 20 16:36:53 EDT 2009

Jeffrey KC8GKF wrote...

> say no to garmin

Have you had a bad experience with a Garmin GPS? I've had several
over the years and was happy with all of them. I'm sure everyone has
a preference, but if it does everything else you want it to do, and
outputs NMEA at 4800 bps, it will be useable for APRS. The exceptions
are the Nuvi 350 which can be used the appropriate cable with the
Tracker 2 series from Argent Data, and any of the Nuvi series (or is it
any Garmin GPS that can output Garmin mode?) with a GTrans cable also
from Argent Data. That cable translates from Garmin to NMEA format.

> what gps has a tiny phono plug for gps? never seen one, have aea cable
> but where do i plug in? hi

I don't really understand the question. I don't know if you are looking
for one with a phono plug on it or if you are complaining about one that
does. I've never seen one with "RCA phone plugs" on it, but I have seen
non-weather-proof ones that used 1/8" mini plus for audio out.

> so i am looking for a gps /rainproff  (remember my tests?)  failed
> screen fogged up for weeks, not readable).,heatprofe, and can drop it
> and it wont break so i can do some streetleval tracking or do i got to
> go buy the good/expensive stuff that really does tracking? i hope i
> can build a system. /cheap and good maps to work.

Sorry, I don't remember reading of your tests. Were they posted on this
SIG, or uploaded somewhere that's accessible?

Which unit(s) did you try that had the fogged up screens? Were they
supposed to be weather-proof? I've never had one that was supposed to be
weather-proof do that. I've used them in snow and rain with no problems.
It sounds like you are looking for a weather-proof GPS receiver with
mapping capabilities that can output NMEA and with a budget price. When
you spend more, you often get a larger more readable screen, more
storage for maps and waypoints, and sometimes a better interface and so
on. Dropping any of them onto rocks isn't recommended. I haven't babied
any of my GPS receivers, but none have failed. They have also not been
dropped onto rocks, so I can't say if any that I have used are any
tougher than any other receiver.

As well as a good screen that has a decent backlight for night use, it's
nice if it's readable in bright sunlight. Transreflective screens are
good for that. Good battery life would also be a desirable feature. I
could list a bunch of Garmin GPS receivers that would probably meet your
needs, but it sounds like you have a preference for another
manufacturer.

> i love leaving bread crumps. hi

If you use bread, the birdies will be able to follow you. If you use a
GPS receiver that creates track logs, you can follow it back home! If
it's connected to an APRS device, others will be able to see where you
are. If you don't have the rest of the hardware, you could take a look
at www.byonics.com or www.argentdata.com, and I'm sure there
will be some other suggestions from people on the list.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH