[aprssig] Whuich GPS for APRS ???

Jim Wright ks4o at arrl.net
Fri Oct 9 14:07:44 EDT 2009

The key requirement is NMEA0183 output.  This is typically found on GPSs
usable on boats where they may interface with other marine electronics.
NMEA is the National Marine Electronics Association, often confused
(particularly by us dyslexics) with NEMA, the National Electrical
Manufacturer's Association.  This output is often abbreviated to just "NMEA"
output, and consists of serial data in the form of "sentences."  That's the
data that APRS devices want to see from a GPS.

The venerable Garmin GPSMap 76 is still being sold, and Amazon has it for
$157.  Spend a little more for the 76S and you get a barometric sensor and a
compass.  If you want color, get the GPSMap 76CSX, but you're now up to
$265.  If you want a smaller GPS (and consequently a smaller screen) you can
get a Garmin eTrex Vista or eTrex Legend.  However, be sure you're getting
one of the earlier models (i.e., not color) that has a serial cable rather
than USB.  The prettier color Vista C, for example, does NOT have NMEA
output.

I have an eTrex Vista.  It doesn't have the SiRFstar III chip like a lot of
the more recent models, which means it's less sensitive.  I haven't examined
the recent specs for the 76 series to see what GPS chips they're using.  But
greater sensitivity is nice in the woods or in "urban canyons."

73
-jim KS4O

If you want a smaller GPS with a smaller display, get the