[aprssig] Somewhat OT - Cradle pinout for Nuvi 350

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Nov 18 16:10:00 EST 2009

Derek KE6JTP wrote...

> I'm going to get the cable for the Nuvi 350 but the cable does not
> supply power. Since I need to hook power through the cradle, which I
> do not have due to space issue, Can someone tell me what the
> connection signals are for the back of the Nuvi 350?
>
> If looking at the back from left to right, call it contacts 1 through
> 4. I can see that 4 is ground - connects to shell of USB. What is 1,
> 2, and 3 used for - one of these have to be power and I suspect the
> other two are TX and RX.

You should ask over on the T2 list. Take a look in the files section at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/ for instructions for making up
your own cable with level converter and for putting it in FMI mode, if
that's your intention. Also search the archives.

The rear connector only has two pins connected for powering / charging
the Nuvi. However, there are two un-used pins. If you don't mind opening
up the Nuvi and connecting the TXD and RXD from the side connector to
the rear connector, it is possible to come up with a "one cable"
solution. Was your intention to put the Nuvi in FMI mode, or are you
using a GTrans cable?

I was using the FMI cable with my first a Nuvi 350, but just picked up
another couple more, and have the USB mini-B cables from Argent Data so
I can make up my own cable. Now that I have three Nuvis, I'm going to
get a bit braver and rewire one of them. If I don't run into any snags,
I'll probably do all three.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH