[aprssig] Maryland CHART data on APRS

rfinesmith at aol.com rfinesmith at aol.com
Wed Nov 11 00:20:40 EST 2009

I am in the process of programming packet server software that will send Maryland Coordinated Highways Action Response Team (CHART) data in APRS packet format.  For those unfamiliar with CHART, please see http://traffic.md.gov/, and click the Interactive Mapping link.  I wish to solicit thoughts from those living in or near Maryland about how to make this data available.  My first thought is to make this a directed query using APRSO.  There are numerous objects that could potentially be sent in response to this query - traffic incidents, road closures, hauling restrictions, weather, and dynamic roadway message signs.  I am thinking this information might need to be limited by a query footprint, but I don't know which APRS software allows the user to enter the target footprint in the query message, so I would appreciate this information from knowledgible persons. Should I require receipt of target footprint data to trigger sending any response?  Should these packets even be sent on 144.390, because it might have the potential to swamp the network? Finally, is there any interest among a large digi operator or IGate station in hosting this system?

Thanks,
Robin, AA3NJ