[aprssig] Bufferless KISS TNCs ?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 10 11:51:38 EST 2009

I thought about this scheme a few years ago, but it's not really very
practical.  As you state in the wiki article, you need a faster link
between the PC and TNC to make up for the fact that the serial link is
sending 10 bits per character and the radio side is sending 8 bits per
character, plus an extra bit for any run of five 1's.

So you've still got to have a few bytes of buffer, AND the host is now
required to handle hardware flow control.  The 'bufferless' scheme saves
you a couple hundred bytes of RAM and requires changes to the host
program.  You're probably going to be better off just paying an extra
$0.75 per device for the extra RAM, or implementing a Baycom modem where
the host handles all of the HDLC stuff.

Scott
N1VG