[aprssig] [OZAPRS] IGATES in south east qld Australia

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sat Nov 7 01:31:46 EST 2009

I know

I would just have messaging thats it

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greg D.
  To: vk4tec at tech-software.net ; ozaprs at aprs.net.au
  Cc: aprssig at tapr.org
  Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:20 PM
  Subject: RE: [aprssig] [OZAPRS] IGATES in south east qld Australia

  Hi Andrew,

  I wouldn't assume that just because you've opened the Internet->RF path that you will be sending *all* of the Internet to RF.  My bi-directional iGate only sends a packet maybe every few minutes, when it's busy, much less when it's not.

  It all depends on what is coming in from RF, which after all, is kind of the point.  APRS is a *lot* more useful when the iGates are bi-directional, and a network that requires 2-3 hops in order to get to the Internet is not likely to function well enough to be useful, and therefore not get used for anything except 1-way tracking.

  Greg  KO6TH