[aprssig] d710 gps plug & Dash Mounting Tips

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 10:48:50 EST 2009

Nice.   Cables are ALWAYS the pain.

 I have taken to making custom clips that slip into the joint-cracks between the dash board sections and run cables along these joints.  I got the idea from ProClip:
  http://www.proclipusa.com/
They make many clips that snap into the cracks.

I make a 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide by about 1-1/2 inch (37 mm) long aluminium strips.  Bend one end into a "C" to hold the cable(s) and experimentally bend the other end to slip into a crack, yet stay there.  It takes some fiddling to both find a spot and how to bend it since you're working blind as to what is behind the crack.

ProFit shows how to mount things and gives instructions on how to remove dash sections on many vehicles then have their brackets come out these cracks - ALL without any holes in the dash or sticky adhesives.
If there is already a usable bolt, it is used.  Otherwise, any holes that you *may* have to drill are "behind" the dash and hidden from view when finished.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/

Go there and look up your vehicle.  They have instruction sheets showing how to mount their mounts - then just (shamelessly) make your own.

-- 73, Steve, K9DCI
  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/