[aprssig] WIDEn-N question

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 21:03:06 EST 2009

Hi Lynn,

What you say is correct (almost) as I understand it.  However, you are addressing a part of the new paradigm that the OP was not questioning.  I was only addressing what he was questioning and ignoring the full description of the New paradigm. Shoulda' made that clear, eh?

Namely:

It is true that the X in WIDEX.. is used to "select", if you will, which type (fill or wide) of digi "uses" that piece of the path.
That is: n=1 => fill or Wide  and n>1  => Wide only)

However, the OP questioned only the "practical" result of having these kind of values:

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
   vs.
WIDE1-1,WIDE3-1
   vs.
WIDE1-1,WIDE4-1

In other words, changing the second "n" while holding the second "N" at a fixed value.
While there is no difference in how the packet travels (assuming none of the digis 'choke' on the 3, or 4), those digits (the second "n") are designed to indicate the intent of the OP (Original Packet).
 -- sorry couldn't resist) (:-)

Bob may correct this, but:
Some time ago I discussed this with Bob because I had almost the same question.  "What is the 'purpose' of the value of that second "n" other than 'selecting' digi type?   I was a newbie once, too.  Still am.

I believe I understood that my interpretation (the N+1) was correct.  He also indicated that following this algorithm can confuse come folks due to differences across the country; since thry might expect WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

In other words,
For strict adhereance to the New Paradigm (and ignoring which digi uses which part of the path), the above "should" be:
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
   vs.
WIDE1-1,WIDE3-2
   vs.
WIDE1-1,WIDE4-3

   to be completely correct (again, ignoring if it is wise to do).

On this one   WIDE1-1,WIDE3-2  you will sometines see that WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 is sometimes recommended instead.  That is the one that Bob said would be expected by come operators (who look at such things) and that is was "ok" for that reason even though it is not per the paradigm.

Hope that is clear ...um...  and that I "get" the paradigm.

73, Steve, K9DCI