[aprssig] WIDEn-N question

Alan P. Biddle APBIDDLE at UNITED.NET
Tue Nov 3 10:55:23 EST 2009

Bob,

I basically gave him the same answer.  It was one of those questions which
make you wonder whether there was something subtle but important I was
missing.  Newbies tend to do that a lot.  ;)

73s,

Alan
WA4SCA

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf
Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: 03 November, 2009 09:51
To: APBIDDLE at mailaps.org; 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [aprssig] WIDEn-N question

> His question was whether there was any
> difference if you used WIDE1-1,WIDE3-1,
> or WIDE1-1,WIDE4-1, etc.

It is not recommended as it violates the receommendation and
common expectatios of everyone.  The WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 packet
takes two hops.  Thus, when it arrives as:

DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2,WIDE2*

It all kinda makes sense.  Two hops were used.  But if he used
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 which is a 3 hop path, it would arrive as:

DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2,DIGI3,WIDE2*

And we see he three hops, and we see that the sum of the WIDE1*
and WIDE2* add up to 3.  It makes no sense to confuse everyone
by doing anything else.

Bob, WB4APR