[aprssig] National Jamboree APRS WEB page?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 29 08:07:14 EDT 2009

To get this 2010 Jamboree use of APRStt well understood and demonstrated to all participants in advance, we need a live on-line APRS Jamboree web page... now.  Maybe one of the APRS-IS authors would consider this project?

It displays on the Jamboree map (link below) the live positions of anyone entering their BXXYY* grid numbers.

It also has their DTMF callsign calculator so they can pre-store their callsign in DTMF memory.

The map needs to be fully connected to the APRS-IS eventually, but for now, it simply needs to be interractive on-line to get people used to entering their BXXYY* position.

I have developed the translation for the author of this web page and for the APRStt implementation that will convert from A-Z latitude and 01-37 Longitude grid using these equations:

LAT = 38/08.8680 + .0830 * (YY)
LON = 77/22.4015 - .1075 * (XX)

So all this web page  has to do is allow the web visitor to enter his CALLSIGN and his BXXYY* location just like he will do when he gets there with his DTMF keypad.

I toyed with the idea of actually using A-Z but then realized that no one with a DTMF HT will have the alphabet on their keys, so I grudgingly decided to let everyone WRITE the two digit 01 to 29 decimal LATITUDE onto their paper map if they want to use this system.  The vertical Grid has plenty of room for these hand written numbers.

Just start at A = 1 through Z = 26 and AA = 27 etc...

This then locates anything on the map with a 4 digit number. XXYY.  I have the upper left and lower right exact coordinates of the map, so that someone can enter this map into their APRS software.  Ill send that in the next email.
along with a fresh copy of the map with the latitude digits on it.

Bob, WB4APR