[aprssig] APRS-Go and OpenStreetMaps

rfinesmith at aol.com rfinesmith at aol.com
Wed May 27 00:06:15 EDT 2009

If anyone is interested, I have just added the capability to APRS-Go (for Windows Mobile) to use OpenStreetMap (OSM) map tiles.? You don't need to calibrate?OSM maps, just download OpenStreetMap tiles to the PDA.??The tiles can be cached to the desktop using an available?application and then copied to the PDA or SmartPhone.? APRS-Go builds slippy-maps from the tiles and zooms to any level you have downloaded.?

I would have preferred to use Google or Microsoft maps, but it is not legal to cache them indefinitely.? OSM does not resrtict you that way.?

You can find out more?at www.aprsgo.com.? Please don't judge the application by the look of the web-site (I've heard it is quite bad, according to?comments on eham, so I've had?that link removed).??I'm not looking for your $, but you will need to email me for the password to download the file.

Thanks,
Robin Finesmith, AA3NJ