[aprssig] Newbie APRS object question

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Fri May 22 11:12:44 EDT 2009

In general , yes sending this objects from an IGATE would not be
desireable.  I wouldn't go so far as to say bad, but..... you have no
control of the path the igate uses, so your packet would cover an area wider
that you expect / want / need.  Also, more than one igate might send your
packet and lastly, the igate would encapsulate your packet inside it's own
and make the original packet longer on the air.

Wes

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:58, Fred Eckert <fredeckert at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ wrote:
>
> >          However, the IGate software will NOT do this for objects heard
> > on APRS-IS.
> >

> This answers my question. I have no RF capability at my base station just
> APRS-IS. I will try to contact a local digi owner and see if we can get the
> info out.
>
> One more thing: Would it be a bad thing for IGates to send out APRS-IS
> objects to local RF?
>
> Thanks to all for the replies.
>
> Fred KJ4LFJ

Wes
---
Where there's silence, there is no Hope.