[aprssig] Newbie APRS object question

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu May 21 14:22:13 EDT 2009

Fred KJ4LFJ wrote...

> I found Bob's local area information initiative document and it has
> answered a few of my many questions. My latest question is would be
> able to properly enter this object myself and keep it local or does it
> need to be done by the local digi owner?

Sorry, but I don't use Xastir, so can't point you in the right
direction. Does the help indicate how to create an object? The reason it
is suggested that a digi sends out the object is because digis are often
installed in "good" locations... i.e. with the antenna having some
height above the surrounding terrain, as voice repeaters usually have.
That way, they can beacon the object direct, with no path. They are
heard "locally" only, within direct earshot of the digi. That makes
sense, because users would have to be in direct earshot of the voice
repeater to use it. If there isn't a digi suitably located to
"advertise" the voice repeater you have in mind, you could do it. You
would need some knowledge of the surrounding digis (and the voice
repeater) to know if sending it out direct (no path) was the best thing
to do. If you would have to send it out with a one hop WIDE2-1 to get
approximately the same range of the voice repeater, you could do that,
but it takes up twice as much bandwidth. One "time slot" for your
original transmission and one for the digi. However, if the frequency is
quiet there, then go for it. If it's very busy, then it would be more
advisable to find a digi with similar coverage to the voice repeater to
do the task.

I did a search and came across a reference to right-clicking to bring up
a menu for generating an object. Try right-clicking on your map to see
if you see that.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH