[aprssig] Newbie Path Question

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun May 17 11:12:33 EDT 2009

Josh KD8HRX wrote...

> I did some more playing around last night and this morning. And it
> appears as if there is a digi closer to me than the ones on the
> aprs.fi map.  However it never ACK's anything unless I have relay in
> the path, which I understand is obsoleted.  How can I find out the
> call of this digi.  I would like to contact the owner and see if we
> can get it reconfigured with non obsolete settings.

The following is a list of other stations near your location that have
made it to an IGate. It is possible that the RELAY digi isn't beaconing
its own position, or it could be beaconing it with no path and isn't
being heard direct by an IGate. Basically, the RELAY digi may or may
not be on this list.     www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KD8HRX

If you beacon with a path of just RELAY, can you hear the RELAY digi on
another radio, or see the signal strength on your D7? If you were going
to go looking for it, that would help. If you do find the operator, be
diplomatic. They may refuse to change. They may listen to reason. They
may argue that other users of RELAY in the area would have to update
their paths. Yes, others may have to make changes to accommodate
dropping RELAY but it would make their paths more compatible with the
rest of North America if they were going to be doing any travelling away
from home.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH