[aprssig] APRStt at Dayton

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat May 16 04:56:50 EDT 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Well, maybe Dayton was not the best place to introduce this "special
> event" capability <grin>... Even at the 0.25 mile scale, of the 290+
> stations heard in Dayton, at least 190 of them were all within the
> square city block of the Hamvention fences. That-is, wall to wall
> stations on the map so cluttered you couldn't find anyone unless you
> used a search function to find their call on the map! So position
> reporting was not the best application.

I just checked and only one station (KC0BS using UI-View) actually shows
up at the Hamvention, but perhaps everyone goes home at night - hi!
Looking at http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KC0BS I can see
all the nearby stations and objects from earlier... at least the 50 that
findu.com lists. Looking down the list, the first one using APRStt that
I spotted was W4PC-12. It appears that the object generated by W4CSS was
going out on RF, and was digi'd by K4NJN-9 (apparently mobile!) some
distance off to the southeast, and was gated by KC7EHJ. Going down the
list, the next one was K9SSL-12, digi'd by KB3MSO and gated by WA8ZWJ-1.
Perhaps for an event such as Dayton, it would be better to go out with
just a one hop path and have an IGate right there. I hear what you are
saying about it being wall to wall stations on the map. Even in UI-View
using PMapServer, zoomed in as far as it would go was on approximately
the same scale as the photo that I calibrated for you. I'll have to make
a point of looking again first thing in the morning when everyone's back
there again. Even though the map will be cluttered, I can still view the
station list and arrange the stations by distance, and all there will be
listed together.

So... when APRS started, did you ever think there would be that many
APRS stations all in one place? hi! It's pretty hard to argue with
success!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH