[aprssig] That tactical callsign argum -- uh, thread...

Bob Poortinga aprssig at k9sql.us
Tue May 12 15:58:42 EDT 2009

Sergej UZ2HZ writes:

> Am I once again surprised, is really I asked about something unreal?

Yes.

> It just is a little OPTION which can to be present in whole of server
> filters set.

Sergej, your perception is that it is a little option, but the reality is
that this would be a major headache for hundreds, if not thousands
of stations; just to offer a minor convenience to you.

If this was such a huge problem, there would be a lot more people
complaining about it.  So far, you are the only one.  If the change
was made per your suggestion, there would be many complaints.
Tactical callsigns are a necessary and important part of APRS.
The only legal requirements (at least in the US) is that on-air
packets contain the callsign of the transmitting stations somewhere
in the packet such as the comment or status field.

> But you in place of help, blamed me for laziness, (in personal
> mail) that I can't do it locally. I can, but once again, it is
> not  an optimum method.

Your suggestion is not optimum.  Why waste a whole character
of a very short field?

> let me explain once again?

No, I think it best that you accept that your suggestion has been
rejected and cease making demands to the APRSSIG list.
I am sure that with a little thought and a little research and learning,
you could develop a workable solution to your problem on your own
For example, a Perl script which would log into a APRS-IS server
and filter stations within a certain geographic area which match
a specified regular expression such as:

(It is left as an exercise to the reader to discern what this regexp
matches.  I'm sure it's not optimal.)

Further discussion on this topic is discouraged!

73 de
--
Bob Poortinga  K9SQL
Bloomington, IN  US