[aprssig] Re : Re : NWS ON rf

John Ronan jpronans at gmail.com
Sun May 10 17:57:34 EDT 2009

On 10 May 2009, at 22:26, rttyman wrote:

> Hi, John.
>

>> Not necessarily Sergej. We have often use tactical calls on RF here
>> in Ireland, with the Callsign being in elsewhere in the transmission.
>
>> de John
>> EI7IG
>
> If you use its locally is all on your own risk, but when its pass to
> Internet backbone and if this call begin with prefix char of other
> country (not EIxxxx) your tactical data become just a QRM for other
> hams in network outside area where this tactic is actual. Filtering
> not
> possible by "callsign present in other place of transmission".
>
> Think you will be not happy if from backbone will came "fault"
> positions with EIxxx in source and mixed up with real
> EI APRS traffic. Same for me.

The backbone has stations with EIXXXX in the source, and they do get
mixed up with real EI aprs traffic, but only on the APRS-IS.
Generally there positions wouldn't be in EI, and we don't gate them
to RF, so it's not a problem.

> The solution for future is use zero figure before tactical signs or
> place
> tactical labels on map with use of Objects + original call in source.

Solution to what?  I don't see a problem. If the agency I'm dealing
with/showing maps to calls it an ICP, and I call it an ICP, I put it
on the map as ICP, why would I put it up as "0ICP"?. That makes no
sense at all?

Cheers
John