[aprssig] Re : Re : NWS ON rf

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun May 10 07:11:40 EDT 2009

On May 10, 2009, at 5:58 AM, rttyman wrote:

> First i'm not know what exactly language used on server, second i'm
> haven't free server with boardband internet to do it.(its coast much
> here
> in Ukraine for example).

Exactly. My point was you have no idea what is involved in doing this.
You say it is "a small script", "a few minutes work". It is not.

> Third (and main) - this should done not in third
> party software, but in servers s/w.

If you are talking about your idea of prefixing zero to tactical
calls, you are wrong, it must be done in everything, including the
users' minds. What I was talking about was writing your own server
which filters out tactical calls. That is not impossible for you to
do, but you will learn it is not as easy as you think it is to write
server software. Start with the open source aprsd software, "all" you
need to do is add your filter.

My big point is you are suggesting a major change in the way APRS uses
tactical callsigns, all because you do not have a way to filter them
out, and this is the way that is easiest for YOU. If it really is such
a problem, get together with all the other people impacted by the
problem, take the full feed and remove the stuff that offends you, and
run your own ports. This is the logical way to do, not to make
hundreds of users and dozens of developers bow down and do your bidding.

Steve K4HG