[aprssig] Re : NWS ON rf

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat May 9 10:43:26 EDT 2009

I cannot over-emphasize this...

You cannot verify ANYTHING that appears on the APRS Internet System.

Anyone can send anything. Anyone can send something that appears to
originate from your callsign. Looking it up on QRZ is meaningless,
because even though your callsign is there, there is nothing that
keeps someone else (ham or non-ham) from sending something with your
callsign. Yes, you can show that F4ARO is a real callsign, but it
cannot be proven that you actually sent it.

I've gone through the history many time before, the short version is
that the very weak authentication that was in place to meet the
requirements of the US Amateur Radio rules was invalidated when an
open source software author felt the only way to satisfy the
requirements of the GPL was to release the program with the source
code for the validation algorithm, nearly a decade ago. Nothing can
fix it short of a complete redo of the APRS IS. In the meantime, all
we can do is take solace in the fact that there have been few problems
over this decade.

Steve K4HG